First drawing I did of Zione and Gavin. I didn’t have much of a story idea other than they were singers with opposite personalities. Other influences on Songbirds are V.C. Andrews, shoujo manga and anime soundtracks*. Yes,I’m one of those people who attaches stories to songs, even if it’s in another language.
I didn’t publish the first book until 2005, though I had been doing web comics before that. The series hasn’t sold well and the reviews are bad, but since I’m about half way done I feel like I should finish it. Hopefully it won’t take another 20 years. How do people decide what projects to finish and which ones to let go of?
*The various soundtracks I can remember
- Gravitation https://youtu.be/tGcShbXhfBA
- Utena https://youtu.be/KBN0X-wD_Dw
- Bronze Zetsuai https://youtu.be/AdD35A00Gpw
- Mars by Gackt https://youtu.be/1bTHhXSpd4U (not a soundtrack!)
- Fushigi Yuugi https://youtu.be/4hNVQwVPTFo
- Kaiken Phrase https://youtu.be/V48MPkc1pbo
- Weiss Kreuz https://youtu.be/c6xxUfDC4w4